Sunday 18 January 2009

a caution

Frequently in conversation, a caution springs to mind:

"Be careful with your words, oh be careful!"

It comes from the sense I have of emotions being fed by expression. To some extent we convince ourselves of sustained opinions. I am thinking here of the attitudes to study I hear expressed on a daily basis at university. I have, over the last term, made a conscious effort not to use negative language in reference to my studies (mainly because I enjoy them and it would not be true to moan about them constantly.) It is difficult when the standard conversation with a relatively unknown fellow student revolves around complaints about the workload. However my success has resulted in a positive attitude thus demonstrating how we should be careful with our words and consider their consequences.

It concerns me that perhaps I am throwing these words away. I toss them into the void and wonder who might catch them. I hope they are honoured, not misused.


365-09 #18

No comments: