Friday 9 January 2009

letters in the sand

My mind keeps drifting back to the summer, I suppose it was yesterday's post that has done it.

It was with glee that I left my grandparents early in the morning to take photos on the beach and in the woods. Being on the sand before anybody else I wrote things on the smooth, wave-washed surface. I enjoyed thinking of people arriving later in the morning and reading the questions I had written, before footprints obscured them and the inevitable tides rose to cover them.

See the sea.
Look for it
Listen for it
Then come and find me and tell me what you saw.

These lines were prompted by the thought that we never really see the sea, we see the light reflecting on the water, or we see the boats afloat, we see the possibility of a swim or a sandcastle. Do we ever stop and look and truly take in the immensity of it? Is it necessary to stop and take in the concept before we can claim to see?

Sometimes I wonder whether these questions really mean anything...


365-09 #9

No comments: