Monday 9 February 2009

2 metaphors

Dinner time. The second time I have sat round the dining table with my housemates. The second time within 3 days. I get the feeling, as someone offers excitedly to cook for us all again in two nights time, that I have set something in motion. I comment on this. "I feel like I've pushed a boulder from the top of a hill" I say, and immediately regret it as 4 faces turn to me in puzzled amusement. The metaphor was completely lost on them.


2pm seminar. 8 people lounging at desks with books askew. The topic under scrutiny happens to be Nietzsche's attitude towards the origins of moral law. I offer an interpretation. "The moral law is made of years of habit and custom, like fossils" I impulsively add. There is a moment of silence as my peers attempt to make the connection. And then back up arrives from my tutor. Essentially the formation of laws is just like the formation of fossils. Customs are repeated year upon year; layers of silt build up. Eventually they become set in stone; petrified.


365-09 #40

No comments: