Sunday 8 February 2009

some more Nietzsche

last night I was lying in bed feeling the weight of my body and a calmness that spread from the inside to the furthest limbs and I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to post on here. So I'm playing catch up for the first time.

I was feeling very claustrophobic about the city yesterday, craving countryside and open space like nothing else. It made me think of an aphorism I came across in Nietzsche recently:

"We like to be out in nature so much because it has no opinion about us." (508- Human, all too Human)

If you stand still and in silence you can imagine the land without yourself. It is as if you were never there, the sheep will graze as they would if you were absent, the wind still brushes through the grass, the birds maintain their flight. It is one of the most beautifully humbling moments.


365-09 #38

No comments: